6.19.2006

Red light funny things

I have observed some funny things at red lights in my years of driving these roads. Mostly it's the run-of-the-mill stuff like nose picking, animated conversations (both with passengers and on cell phones) and grooming (shaving and makeup). This morning takes the cake. The woman in the Saturn Ion behind me on Route 28 The Fellsway at Wellington Circle was holding up a white camisol and inspecting it. I'm not kidding.

First of all, I'm surprised that I could even remember what that type of shirt is called. I had to search through the vast clutter in my brain for that one.

So, I watched her inspect the camisol. She held it up, then flipped it around to inspect the back. Then she folded it and put it down next to her. She looked ahead to check the light to make sure it hadn't changed. Then she held something else up to inspect. This time it was a bra. She inspected this the same way she did the camisol.

As usual, my imagination started working. *Get your mind out of the gutter right now.* I wasn't thinking those things. I was wondering why this woman would need to inspect a camisol and bra at a red light. Did she just buy these things at TJ Maxx 'n More at Assembly Square? Did she swipe them from the dryer at the local Launderette? Did she find them in the center console of the car; the one her husband or s/o usually drives?

This is one of those times when I wish driving in a car wasn't so isolating. I could actually ask her why she was doing it. After all, this blog seems to serve as good field research in an anthropological study. Perhaps this little bit of empirical data could be the key to some unexplained human trait. Or, maybe it was just a woman looking at clothes. I'll leave that to the masses to decide.

|
Comments:

Post a Comment