9.01.2005

Gas: One thing crazier than the driving

Today I saw something that I have never seen before. I saw a difference of $1 per gallon of gas. Where? Malden. How far apart? A few blocks. On the corner of Eastern Avenue and Maplewood Street, a no-name gas station was selling gas for $2.49, and nine-tenths. That was about 60 cents cheaper than a Mobil on Eastern Avenue. I was surprised. That was until I was driving down Salem Street a few blocks away when I saw gas for $3.49 a gallon.

A whole dollar difference. Wow. I've heard from people who are paying better attention than me that gas stations are increasing their prices by the hour. They're not buying it by the hour.

I have seen as much as 20 or 30 cents, but not a whole dollar before. I bet it's not the end. Anyone want to take bets on how soon it will hit $4 a gallon for 87 octane? Or how long until the T has to start doubling up its bus, subway and rail routes?

The good thing? Fewer crazy drivers.

Check Universal Hub for other local commentary.

|
Comments:

Post a Comment