4.06.2005

Merge etiquette

Merging is an easy concept, or so it seemed to me in driver's ed. But for some, it is a daunting task. Take this guy driving a mid-90s silver Toyota Corolla on 93 North in Somerville on Tuesday. Forget for a moment that the guy, dressed in a pressed white-collared shirt, looked too big and out of place to be driving such a beat up heap to work. He didn't seem like the type to panic when it comes time to merging with speeding traffic, but he apparently did.

Coming up the 93 North ramp near the Sullivan T station, which enters the highway on the left, this Toyota immediately swerved to the right. Trouble was, there was a fairly steady line of traffic coming in the travel lanes that had to jam brakes and swerve to miss this lunatic. What makes it worse, the traffic entering the highway from the ramp has its own lane, because the ramp creates the fourth lane. So, the guy had plenty of room to speed up or slow down to let traffic go by so he could get across the road.

Judging by the fact that he swung all the way to the right lane, catching nasty glances from everyone in line ahead of me (I admit I moved over and slowed down to get a good look to see who would do something so stupid), this guy was probably getting off at the Route 28/38 exit for Malden and Somerville. I don't know, and don't care, because I sped away en route to work.

This Toyota Man represents more and more drivers on highways today. It astounds me that merging is so difficult for people. Now, it's possible that this guy had a brain cramp, or missed something in his blind spot. If he were to plead his case, I could give him the benefit of the doubt because there, but for the grace of God, go I. So far, there's no evidence to support that case. In fact, the preponderance of evidence is on the side of whacky people just cutting across traffic knowing everyone else will yield. Shame on them.

Please merge with care, but not too much care. Don't be the one stopped at the end of the ramp too afraid to get moving into the line of traffic. I'll post another time about those people.

|
Comments:
This particular manuever is sadly typical on that stretch of 93, as I'm sure you've noticed if you've been driving it that long. Maybe they think it's better to swerve across those lanes than to take it slowly and risk being one of those line-cutting assholes who crams his way in right at the offramp?
 
I have discovered in the past few years, that Toyota drivers are a unique breed. Perhaps it is because of their marketing that makes no mention of power or beauty, but I think most Toyota drivers are not drivers at all...at least, people that want to disconnect themselves the most from the act of driving. As a result I VERY often see them take no regard for other traffic. They are often the slowest drivers (They may think safe but causing road rage is not safe), hold up left lanes, or enter lanes without looking (and of course no blinker...).

Keep it in mind over the next few weeks, I bet you will notice their numbers. I see the Toyota logo as a warning symbol.

(And of course there are exceptions, so please don't take it personally, I just think their averages are much higher than other brands)

Nice site, keep it up. You certainly should have no problem coming up with content with the craziness around here...
 

Post a Comment